Personal introduction letter

 Dear Professor Blackstone,

I am JiaJun, a first-year mechanical design and manufacturing (MDME) student in enrolled in your critical thinking and communicating module. I am writing this letter to share with you more about myself. In areas such as my educational background, communication strengths and weaknesses, specific module objectives and what distinguishes me from my peers.

Having graduated from Singapore Polytechnic (SP) in 2021 with a diploma in aeronautical engineering, I made a deliberate decision to further my education and perspective within the field of engineering. My academic background has equipped me with valuable skill-sets that extend beyond the aerospace sector, enabling me to apply my knowledge adeptly in diverse areas such as automotive and manufacturing. My motivation to join this course stems from a strategic goal to broaden my engineering expertise and enhance my capabilities. I am deeply committed to acquiring additional knowledge and hands-on experience in the realm of mechanical engineering, with the ultimate aim of positioning myself as a versatile and accomplished engineer.

Regarding communication strengths, my proficiency lies in confidently articulating ideas within small group settings, allowing me to present my thoughts to group-mates with conviction and assurance. This capability was particularly helpful during my tenure as a group leader for my final year project at Singapore Polytechnic. In this role, I was required to set up project schedules, ensuring my group members were following them and ensuring everyone knew what needed to be done for the project constantly. Additionally, I provided regular updates on project progress during weekly meetings with both the overseeing lecturer and our industry partner. This experience not only refined my leadership skills but also exposed me to the nuances of effective communication, predating formal exposure to related modules.

My personal weakness is that I have stage fright. When tasked with presenting or sharing ideas before a large audience, I occasionally experience challenges such as stuttering and a momentary loss of the ability to articulate my thoughts coherently. Recognizing this as an area for improvement, I am actively working towards enhancing my public speaking skills. I believe that mastering the art of public speaking is integral to personal and professional growth.

For this module, I have two goals that I want to achieve. Firstly, I aim to be able to project my ideas with utmost clarity and precision. Secondly, I am to foster effective bidirectional communication by promoting active listening and adept responses. As a future engineer, i need to be able to listen to different stakeholders and adjust the subsequent follow up actions based on their views. Additionally, being clear and precise with my ideas will save unnecessary miscommunication with the stakeholders and allows everyone to understand what is needed to be done. Therefore, these are reasons that i hope i can achieve my goals.

What sets me apart from the others is that besides my experience as a project leader, I am also the class representative for MDME. These experiences have honed my proficiency in effective communication, particularly in the capacity of relaying inquiries between my classmates and module coordinators, as well as disseminating information from the coordinators to my peers. Serving as both a project leader and class representative, I have developed the skills necessary to navigate a professional environment adeptly. These roles have not only refined my ability to articulate and convey information but have also strengthened my adaptability in ensuring seamless communication within academic settings. The combination of these experiences has been instrumental in shaping my aptitude for effective communication in professional scenarios.

Professor Blackstone, I look forward to learn more about from you during the class. Thank you for taking your time to read my introduction.

Best regards,

JiaJun

revised

Comments

  1. Hi Jiajun,

    Thanks for sharing your experiences I learnt alot about you and realised your experiences are similiar to mine as we both we project leaders back in our own Polytechnic.

    I hope that I can get to know you better over the course of this module. Other than that I do not really see any major mistakes from this passage and I think its really well written.

    Regards,
    Royce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Royce,
      Thank you for your response, Hope to get to know u more in class as well!

      Regards,
      JiaJun

      Delete
  2. Hi Jia Jun,

    I would like to say that I think that overall, your self-introduction is very well written. It is concise and informative and has allowed me to learn a lot about you. I also think the illustrations of your communication strengths and weaknesses are excellent and relatable.

    Regarding what sets you apart, I admire your confidence in leadership, an area which I am lacking in. I hope to get to know you better in person through this module and look forward to working with you.

    Best regards,
    Ee Chong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ee Chong, hope to know u better in person as well. See u in class on Monday!

      Regards,
      JiaJun

      Delete
  3. Dear Jia Jun,

    I have read your introductory letter and I have to say that I wouldn't have taken you as a person who has stage fright. In class, you are such a well-spoken and friendly person that I can get along with very well. I also admire the fact that you were from the Aerospace faculty back in Singapore Polytechnic. That means that we have something in common, because my greatest interest lies in Aerospace and the feats of flying.

    As for your letter, it is honestly very well written and kudos to you for that *rounds of applause*. And with that bombshell, I look forward to seeing you in class and in the near future, graduating together in the coming 2 years.

    Regards,
    Javid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Javid for your response, Hope to know more in class as well!

      Regards,
      JiaJun

      Delete
  4. Dear JiaJun,

    Thank you for sharing such a comprehensive introduction. It's evident that you have a strong educational background and a clear understanding of your communication strengths and areas for improvement.

    It's great that you've outlined specific goals for this module—projecting ideas with clarity and fostering bidirectional communication. Consider elaborating on how achieving these goals will contribute to your overall development as an engineer.

    Your experience as both a project leader and class representative is a standout point. I feel like you could emphasize more on the skills you've developed in these roles and how they uniquely position you for success in the field of mechanical design and manufacturing.

    Overall, your introduction is well-written and provides a thorough insight into your background, strengths, and goals. Best of luck with your studies, and I look forward to having you in the class.

    Best regards,
    Amir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amir for your response, i will add more information about how the skills that I've developed in my role as a project leader and class representative helped me through the course in the letter. Hope to get to know you more in class.
      Regards,
      JiaJun

      Delete
  5. Dear Professor Blackstone,

    I would like to extend my gratitude for this supportive reply. Thanks for the feedback and i am humbled to be a student of yours.

    I look forward to learn more from you in class.

    Regards,
    JiaJun

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts